Knee Health Tips
The knees are a common source of chronic pain complaints. Especially if you are very active, the knee joints can really take a beating. Athletes especially place great deals of stress on their knees.
The development of knee pain can occur simply from repetitive overuse or arise from an acute injury. It is essential that you take some precautions to ensure that your knees do not end up becoming a major source of pain over the course of your lifetime.
It is essential that you take some precautions to ensure that your knees do not end up being a major source of pain over the course of your lifetime.
Knee Health Longevity Tips
- If you are an athlete, or someone who enjoys vigorous exercise, try participating in sports that are low impact. When you run, don’t run on hard pavements. If you are a tennis player, try to avoid playing on concrete. Exercising on hard surfaces can lead to the development of osteoarthritis.
- Instead, make an effort to engage in athletics that do not place great amounts of stress on your joints. Such exercises include elliptical training, bike riding, cross-country skiing and swimming.
- Take care to rest in between activity sessions– you may feel the urge to play racquetball every day of the week, but taking breaks and having ‘off days’ will increase the longevity of your knees.
- Try to use ice packs on your knees. In between activity sessions, icing down your knee can help to reduce pain and limit inflammation. It’s generally best to keep the ice on for 20 minutes at a time.
- Use [easyazon_link keywords=”compression wraps” locale=”US” tag=”chronic0e-20″]compression wraps[/easyazon_link] on your knees when you are engaging in more strenuous physical activities. The use of lightweight and breathable wraps can help to promote proper like circulation. As well, they can promote joint stability and proper knee alignment.
- Try keeping your legs elevated while you are resting. This is an effective way of reducing swelling and, as well, preventing the build up of fluids in and around your knees.
Other Knee Health Tips
- Concentrate on forming muscle strength in the quads, glutes, hamstrings and ankles. These support muscles will help to ensure you maintain a healthy pair of the knees throughout your lifetime.
- Make sure that you stay within the proper weight guidelines for your height and age. Additional weight understandably places extra stress on your knees.
- Make sure that you consult with a physician if your knee pain is particularly severe or if it does not diminish after a couple days of rest, elevation, massage and icing.
- Are your shoes causing your knee pain? Make sure that you wear comfortable and a [easyazon_link keywords=”shoes” locale=”US” tag=”chronic0e-20″]high-quality pair of shoes[/easyazon_link]. Many people are unaware that the soles of the shoes are worn down and are causing them associated pains in the knees lower back and even their necks. Invest in a quality pair of shoes- you will be doing yourself a favor.
- Before you do any type affect your size, make sure that you adequately stretch. Pay particular attention to the hamstring and quad muscle groups.
- If any particular exercise is causing you pain, it is a signal from your body that what you were doing is potentially harmful. Listen to your body– pain is a message for you to take heed.